Middlesex United Methodist Church
Saturday, September 23, 2017
Making Disciples - Transforming the World

Our History

                          
 
The Middlesex Church has been serving the spiritual needs of the community since 1871.
 
The congregation started as an Evangelical gathering following revival meetings in an old log schoolhouse that stood across the road from the present building. In 1873 the schoolhouse was purchased and moved to this side of the road, where it served as a house of worship for thirteen years. In 1886 it was removed and a new two-room church with steeple was built for $1700. Following successful revival meetings in 1950, the basement was excavated for Sunday School facilities. In 1969 the present sanctuary was constructed. An addition consisting of 8 classrooms and a large multi-purpose room was dedicated in 1983.
 
Originally an Evangelical congregation, we became part of the Evangelical United Brethren Church via the merger of 1946 and later a United Methodist Church following another merger in 1968.